Contract with Backbone Campaign to enhance your campaign with imagery, training, strategy, or action design.
"Backbone is amazing at logistics and extremely thorough. They think about every aspect of an action from the messaging to the visuals to making sure there are good photos and videos to share online. We've been grateful for their support on our various high impact Internet freedom campaigns." - Evan Greer of Fight For The Future'
Backbone has a strong track record of producing high visibility actions that garner media attention, pressure your target, and excite and engage your membership!
After innovating in the realm of artful activism and creative tactics since our inception in 2004, Team Backbone is poised to accomplish the near impossible. We specialize in designing and deploying bold, beautiful and technical actions, often on a quick turnaround and always at a super reasonable cost.
Your first half-hour consultation is FREE! Call Bill today at 206-356-9980 or our office at 206-408-8058.
A Small Sampling of Backbone's work to support the campaigns of our friends and allies:
- #FreeThe Snake: Backbone built and deployed two giant floating banners with 10 foot tall letters as part of the Free The Snake Flotilla organized by Save Our Wild Salmon and allies such as Patagonia's DamNation project, calling for the removal of 4 deadbeat dams on the Snake River. Video Here
- Our friends at Fight for the Future needed fast technical support for an action thousands of miles away. They called Backbone. With just 3 days notice, Backbone mobilized a bird-dogging team following Oregon Senator Ron Wyden to four campaign stops. They greeted him and his constituents at each stop with a 30-foot blimp and banner, calling on the Senator to fight for internet freedom. Video HERE
Popular Resistance - To disrupt the TPP negotiations in Virginia, Backbone Campaign organized NVDA and blockades trainings for Popular Resistance. Our action design and support led to the successful deployment of a tripod blockade and a giant helium assisted banner lift, which blocked 5 lanes of traffic and catalyzed resistance to the TransPacific Partnership in a bold and creative way.
To draw attention and inspire a swell of resistance to the TPP negotiations, Backbone offered training and action design for two high visibility actions in DC. The TPP Fast Track Train Wreck Express mural took over DC streets for 3 hours. The day before, Backbone surprised the Secret Service and scaled the 5 story building of the United States Trade Representatives offices and redecorated the facade with 5 banners demanding an end to the "Corporate Coup." This was no small feat, because the building is in one of the most secure areas of Washington D.C., with the White House Executive building right across the street. The Washington Post journalist had this to say about our action, "[It was] pure guerrilla theater... could rank among the best ever."
MoveOn & Other98 - Our "Target Ain’t People" flashmob garnered 2 million views on Yahoo News and YouTube, in addition to newspaper headlines. We think it's the best activist song and dance flashmob yet. Video HERE
Working Washington & AgitPop - We crashed the Amazon shareholders' meeting with a stunning night-time guerrilla light projection and a highly technical, day-time, helium assisted banner lift. The banner integrated a giant local statue into the demands for Amazon to leave the American Legislative Exchange Council and pay its workers a fair share. Amazon almost immediately dumped ALEC.
- ForestEthics - Backbone crashed an industry summit hosted by Pepsi and Coca Cola with a Guerrilla Light Projection brand-jamming at the swanky Westin Hotel. The projection, public outreach, and interaction with their industry peers highlighted the hypocrisy of their greenwashing efforts, exposing their use of Tar Sands fuel to power their distribution fleet.
UltraViolet - Backbone has ample experience mobilizing creative tactics in logistically demanding scenarios. Backbone was the perfect partner for UltraViolet's efforts to activate constituents in key swing states and beat back the repeal of the life-saving Affordable Care Act and defeat Trumpcare. Over two days we mobilized Guerrilla Light Projections in 4 cities and captured the voices of those whose lives hung in balance.
Through Backbone's trainings with grassroots activists and the growing network of autonomous organizers who share our affinity for creative direct action, Backbone is increasingly able to mobilize distributed actions across geographic distances. UltraViolet reached out to Backbone to organize guerrilla light projections in 6 cities, all in a different state, in one evening, in solidarity with survivors of sexual assault.
- World Beyond War - Backbone Campaign scouted and organized the first ever flotilla at the Pentagon, a water-based creative action connecting the dots on climate, the environment, and the war machine.
- Patagonia & My Sea To Sky - In connection with indigenous communities and tribal canoe families in Canada working to protect their waters, Patagonia and My Sea To Sky commissioned Backbone Campaign to create and mobilize a floating banner at a fraction of the cost of a similar Patagonia action.
- Sierra Club WA - With the addition of Backbone's iconic and large-scale imagery, the Sierra Club earned mainstream media coverage on multiple television stations and newspapers for a mid-day rally to defend against the attempts by lawmakers to cut the budgets for vital clean up efforts in the Puget Sound.
SEIU 6 - When the immensely profitable Amazon was skimping on pay and benefits to its workers, SEIU needed to increase the pressure to negotiate a fair and equitable labor contract. SEIU commissioned Backbone to create giant 2D imagery depicting Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos in a sinister robot outfit. Their subsequent actions utilizing the creative imagery helped them garner national press for their cause.
“The robot was a great visual that was able to communicate our message about how we view Jeff Bezos and Amazon as a corporate citizen. Having the Security Industry Specialists (SIS) logo in the robot’s hand made it clear that the call to hold contractors responsible for enforcing fair labor standards is in Jeff Bezos’s hands.” -Patience Malaba, Lead Organizer, SEIU6
- Waterkeeper Alliance - Backbone has provided trainings on strategy, artful activism tactics, and creative messaging to groups and leaders across the country. Backbone was thrilled to provide training and visibility tools to a gathering of western states Executive Directors as well as the annual meeting of Waterkeepers Alliance organizers. Some of those tools are being used as far as the Amazon Rainforest.
- Alaska Wilderness League - How much is a full page color article in Roll Call, the newspaper every member of Congress and their staff read, actually worth? AWL brought Backbone to DC to liven up a lobby day and look what happened! We helped them earn media that even a big organization couldn't normally afford.
What organizations who have contracted with Backbone are saying about us:
"Thank you many times over for pulling off this amazing action. I am beyond impressed with what you all accomplished on a very tight turnaround. The impact we made from this action, as well as the actions we did this past week in Napa, has already been communicated from the PepsiCo negotiator. Glad to work together, and hope we’re able to collaborate again soon." - Ethan Buckner of ForestEthics
"We were so fortunate to have Backbone Campaign working on our action that raised the profile of protecting Howe Sound in BC. Bill and his team's expertise was invaluable to our success. There was absolutely no way we could have pulled-off that smooth and streamlined of an event without their leadership and vision. Bill and his team executed our vision without hesitation and worked tirelessly to materialize our most successful event of 2017. If you haven't considered working with Backbone, do not hesitate. They hold the key to your next successful event." - Melyssa Hudson, Co-Found, My Sea to Sky
"Amazing job! I am super impressed. This looks fantastic!!!! Great job y’al!! Thank you for taking this on, and executing it so professionally." - Jim Ace of ForestEthics
PS - When you contract with Backbone you also help support creative tactics and trainings for smaller grassroots groups. A spirit of generosity accompanies every collaboration, regardless of whether or not there is a budget.