Contract with Backbone to enhance your campaign with imagery, training, strategy, design, or action planning.
Backbone has a strong track record of producing high visibility actions that garner media attention, pressure your target, and excite and engage your membership!
After innovating in the realm of artful activism and creative tactics for over 11 years, Team Backbone is poised to accomplish the near impossible. We specialize in designing and deploying bold, beautiful and technical actions, often on a quick turnaround and always at a super reasonable cost.
A Small Sampling of Backbone's work to support the campaigns of our friends and allies:
- #FreeThe Snake: Backbone built and deployed two giant floating banners with 10 foot tall letters as part of the Free The Snake Flotilla organized by Save Our Wild Salmon and allies such as Patagonia's DamNation project, calling for the removal of 4 deadbeat dams on the Snake River. Video Here
- Our friends at Fight for the Future needed fast technical support for an action thousands of miles away. They called Backbone. With just 3 days notice, Backbone mobilized a bird-dogging team following Oregon Senator Ron Wyden to four campaign stops. They greeted him and his constituents at each stop with a 30-foot blimp and banner, calling on the Senator to fight for internet freedom. Video HERE
- Popular Resistance - Backbone offered training and action design for two high visibility actions in DC to draw attention and inspire resistance to the TPP negotiations. The TPP Fast Track Train Wreck Express mural took over DC streets for 3 hours. The day before, Backbone surprised the Secret Service and scaled the 5 story building of the United States Trade Representative's offices and redecorated the facade with 5 banners demanding an end to the "Corporate Coup." This was no small feat, because the building is in one of the most secure areas of Washington D.C., with the White House Executive building right across the street. The Washington Post journalist had this to say about our action, "[A]s pure guerrilla theater... could rank among the best ever."
- MoveOn & Other98 - Our Target Ain’t People flashmob garnered 2 million views on Yahoo News and YouTube in addition to newspaper headlines. We think it is the best activist song and dance flashmob yet. Video HERE
- Working Washington & AgitPop - We crashed the Amazon shareholders' meeting with a stunning night-time guerrilla light projection and a highly technical, day-time, helium assisted banner lift. The banner integrated a giant local statue into the demands for Amazon to leave the American Legislative Exchange Council and pay its workers a fair share. Amazon almost immediately dumped ALEC.
- Popular Resistance - Backbone Campaign organized NVDA and blockades trainings for Popular Resistance to disrupt the TPP negotiations in Virginia. Our action design and support led to the successful deployment of a tripod blockade and a giant helium assisted banner lift, which blocked 5 lanes of traffic and catalyzed resistance to the TransPacific Partnership in a bold and creative way.
ForestEthics - Backbone crashed an industry summit hosted by Pepsi and Coca Cola with a Guerrilla Light Projection brand-jamming at the swanky Westin Hotel. The projection, public outreach, and interaction with their industry peers highlighted the hypocrisy of their greenwashing efforts, while they power their distribution fleet using Tar Sands fuel.
- Alaska Wilderness League - How much is a full page color article in Roll Call, the newspaper every member of Congress and their staff read, actually worth? AWL brought Backbone to DC to liven up a lobby day and look what happened! We helped them earn media that even a big organization couldn't normally afford.
What organizations who have contracted Backbone are saying about us:
"Thank you many times over for pulling off this amazing action. I am beyond impressed with what you all accomplished on a very tight turnaround. The impact we made from this action, as well as the actions we did this past week in Napa, has already been communicated from the PepsiCo negotiator. We’ll see the benefits from this in the weeks and months to come. Glad to work together, and hope we’re able to collaborate again soon." - Ethan Buckner of ForestEthics
"Amazing job! I am super impressed. This looks fantastic!!!! Great job y’al!! Thank you for taking this on, and executing it so professionally." - Jim Ace of ForestEthics