Thank you for locking arms with Backbone as we rise up to help communities navigate this difficult year. We hope you will RSVP for this Saturday's 17th Birthday Celebration with awesome special guests, including YOU!
Backbone HQ has been especially busy this last month, juggling action design, training, and getting visibility tools to progressive struggles across the US. Here are some of the creative actions we've been part of in just the last 3 weeks:
1. Make Amazon Pay - Warehouse workers, climate activists, and citizens around the world are coming together to take on Jeff Bezos and Amazon. The pandemic has exposed how Amazon places profits ahead of workers, society, and our planet; this behemoth corporation takes too much and gives back too little. It is time to #MakeAmazonPay.
Backbone Campaign is a member of both the Athena Coalition in the US and Progressive International to support this work around the globe. On Black Friday we deployed light projections on Bezos' DC mansion and other locations in DC, as well as in Seattle, Amazon's HQ. Check out this compelling show of solidarity to say that Amazon's days of impunity are over.
2. Supreme Court Projection, Cargill is Guilty - Backbone projectionista Phil Ateto shone a message on the US Supreme Court on the eve of the Court's long awaited hearing for plaintiffs seeking justice for child trafficked cacao workers at Cargill and Nestle plantations. Author, researcher and veteran human rights activist Etelle Higonnet said this in her gracious thank you note:
3. Plastic Free President Campaign - Backbone trained, provided gear, and action support to activists in Philadelphia, Columbus, New Orleans, San Francisco, Houston and DC for a successful 6-city action this week that targeted President-elect Biden demanding solutions to the crises of plastic pollution and poison.
4. Biden Be Brave for a Green New Deal - in collaboration with environmental groups, Backbone brought gear out to DC for light projection and LED bannering, as activists camped out at the DNC Headquarters, calling for a Green New Deal.
5. This week and next we'll be supporting health care workers' demands to receive hazard pay for the most difficult conditions they're facing.
Backbone's tools of light projection, bannering, LED lights can be done in Covid-safe ways. Contact us if you would like to order a banner to deploy on an overpass near you.
Thanks to you, Backbone celebrates 17 years of movement building creative activism this Saturday. We're having a virtual party and want you there!
Members of our Board of Directors and a few special guests are waiting to meet you! RSVP to join a breakout room and connect with inspiring change makers from across the country!
More info here: Backbone's 17th Birthday
In addition to supporting creative actions across the US, we continue to grow Solutionary Rail and the new Vashon Island Time Exchange. With all this work, we haven't had a lot of bandwidth for fundraising. We did however manage to get our December Fundraising letter mailed. Look for it in your mailbox!
We are a small and hard working organization. Your support at this time keeps us thriving in 2021, a pivotal year for designing new solutions and new coalitions.
Some generous Backbone donors have pledged $25,000 to a matching fund; they are ready to match your donation, to double your impact! Contribute HERE.
Since Backbone Campaign is a 501c3 not for profit, donations are tax deductible; we can also accept gifts of stock. Please email us for more info or call (206.408.8058) if you have any questions!
Help keep actions bold, beautiful and courageous by making your donation today.
Thank you for being part of this work!