Protect - Resist - Create!
Who: Calling all Change Agents! We want you to join us on beautiful Vashon Island as we learn together, create art and props, build community, and deepen our activism. Workshops are open to all levels of experience.
What: Backbone Campaign presents a series of trainings; each workshop will focus on one of the five disciplines, or Sectors of Agency in our Theory of Change:
- Artful Activism, creative campaign design and props to make the invisible visible, bringing light to cause;
- Community Organizing, non-transactional inquiry and engagement, building leadership and community power;
- Cultural Work for anti-oppression & sense of place;
- Storytelling and Media Making for reflecting and projecting our stories; and
- Solutionary Strategies for a Just Transition, building and proving that another world is possible.
Where: Trainings will happen at the Hostel Space on Vashon Island, 12119 SW Cove Rd, Vashon, WA 98070
(Exception: the April 22 Community Organizing Training will happen at a different Vashon Island location.)
At the overnight trainings, shared sleeping accommodations are available on a first come/first served basis.
When: Dates, topics and confirmed speakers are:
- March 10-11 (4pm on Friday - 5pm Saturday) - Artful Activism, Backbone Theory of Change and Campaign Organizing - Backbone Co-Founder Bill Moyer and Organizing Director Eric Ross, WAMend Cindy Black, music entertainment by Kat Eggleston. Cost for training, meals and housing: $50-$200 (Sliding Scale). Register.
- March 25-26 (8am Saturday - 3pm Sunday) - Cultural Healing, Anti-Oppression and overcoming fragmentation and alienation - Paul Cheoketen Wagoner, Stephanie Barbee, others. Cost for training, meals and housing: $50-$200 (Sliding Scale). Register.
- April 1-2 (8am Saturday - 3pm Sunday) - Media and Storytelling - PRESENTERS TO BE CONFIRMED. Cost for training, meals and housing: $50-$200 (Sliding Scale).
- April 22 (8am - 5pm; Saturday only) - Community Organizing - Jim Diers, Sandra Vandervan - LOCATION TBA Cost for training, meals: $25-$100 (Sliding Scale).
- (Date pending) - Solutionary Strategies - More info coming soon.
Let's increase our collective capacity to be effective change agents and build a future worthy of our children!
- March 10, 2017 at 4:00pm – March 11, 2017
- Hostel on Vashon Island
- $50.00 USD