The plastic pollution crisis is a planetary crisis.
Backbone outfitted a team with digital projection gear, for their travels to Uruguay for the UN's Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee to develop an international legally binding instrument on plastic pollution. The team did several nights of digital projection.
- Involvement of indigenous people with the process
- SCOPE (definitions of plastic, plastic pollution, additives, lifecycle of plastic)
- Guaranteeing transparency, monitoring and prioritizing EJ in decisions on shutting down facilities or the siting of new ones
- Naming harmful toxics that cause multigenerational harm
- Supporting IPEN calling for requirements on transparency and traceability
- Request that parties work with independent scientific community free from the influence of corporate interests
- Use of plain language
- Reject chemical recycling , waste exports to non-OECD countries and establish criteria for recycling
- Support Extended producer responsibilities
To learn more and take action, check out Break Free From Plastic's website.
Information on the UN meeting is HERE.