Backbone Campaign and Cascadia Now! have joined together to answer the call of the Water Protectors at Standing Rock to send more people in support. We will be delivering winter shelters constructed by teams organized by Paul Cheoketen Wagner and other supplies. We trust that people who go on this journey will find a good way to stand in solidarity with the warriors on the frontline and join their prayerful, nonviolent, bold and courageous direct actions.
Cost: Free - or - pitch in if you can
- Depart Saturday, November 12
- Arrive at Standing Rock encampment Sunday, November 13
- November 14 - 18: Choose how you spend your time at camp.
- Help is needed on the front line, actively blocking the continuing construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline. Bring your prayer skills, your peacemaking skills and your Nonviolent Direct Action skills.
- Construction help is needed to build/assemble contemporary tipis with Paul Cheoketen Wagner. Paul has designed these highly cost effective shelters that will provide safety and warmth to Water Protectors living at camp in the winter. He raised the funds for materials and needs more hands to get them built quickly. More about his project here.
- You may find other ways to be of use once you are at camp.
- Vehicles begin return journey Saturday, November 19 (You may certainly choose to return with us remain at Standing Rock and find your own ride home.)
- Arrival back to Seattle area expected to be Sunday, November 20
What to expect on the road:
The trip is approximately 25 hours each way from Seattle. We will drive through with drivers working in shifts. You can get on the bus in Olympia, Seattle or possibly somewhere in between if it's enroute.The bus is a standard Thomas school bus, so bring what you need to make your ride comfortable!
Register to Participate HERE: Bring what you need to be self sustaining. Camp organizers provide food for everyone. The rest is up to you.
Backbone and Cascadia are fundraising to pay for truck and bus biodiesel, some minor maintenance, and insurance for this trip.
- Folks going on the journey are welcome to ride for free.
- Any help defer costs is appreciated whether you are going or not.
- Any contributions beyond our expenses will go to either the Paul's shelter project or the Standing Rock camp organizers.
- PITCH-IN toward the Solidarity Convoy expenses HERE
- Contribute directly to Paul's shelter construction project HERE.
A special thank you to Brandon Letsinger of Cascadia Now! and to consummate organizer and Backbone Team member Jo Walter for stepping up to organize this Solidarity Convoy. I'm sure she would welcome your help. If you can pitch-in with some time and energy please do.
In Solidarity & Gratitude!
- November 12, 2016 at 8am – November 21, 2016
- Standing Rock Solidarity Convoy